5.27.2010

Motivation

We here in sunny California have been having some very peculiar weather lately. One day it's 80º, the next it's 50º. Today, is was drizzling. It's May, and typically in the 80s at least by now, and it was cold and wet outside. I was hoping to walk to get food for lunch today, but to my surprise when I got outside it was too wet to walk anywhere. Here's the deal, I work in a grey box: grey cubicle walls, grey desk, grey carpet, grey ceiling tiles... it's all grey. The closest window is about 100 feet away from my desk. Walking to the door to get out is closer than peeking out the window to see what the weather is like. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the grey shades... but everyday, not so much.

Weather tends to take an effect on me. When it's gloomy outside it's really hard to get out of bed in the morning. It also tends to leave me demotivated to do anything but cozy up in bed with a book, let alone be productive or exercise.

Fortunately for me, my sister was feeling quite guilty about everything she ate today and talked me into joining her at the gym. I haven't ran since Monday evening, and that run didn't go so well. Being at the gym was exactly what I needed. I did low impact on the elliptical machine, and did all the weight machines. I haven't done weights in months. And I've been feeling quite inadequate about my arm strength most recently. So this is a huge confidence boost currently. I'm sure I'll be regretting it tomorrow. But for now it was completely worth it!

On a side note, I'm going to make a better point at being more healthy with my eating habits. Not that I eat tons of junk food, but I do indulge in sweets every now and then. I've stopped drinking soda, it's been almost a week but I feel great about it. I never realized how the carbonation made me feel icky (not to mention all those chemicals). I replaced soda with tea, lots of tea. I take a mason jar, fill it up with water, put 4 lipton tea bags in, close it up... and let it steep all night. I take my mason jar to work with me and crack it open at lunch time. It's perfect, and a good change up from water :)

No comments:

Post a Comment